You are on License
State of Wisconsin *
Help  |  Site Map  |  Subject Directory  |  Agency Index  |  Feedback

* License Home
* Portal Home
* Government
* Public Services
* Business
* Education
* Wisconsin Facts
* Health & Safety
* Relocation
* Visiting


Detailed Information for : Excise Tax, Brewer, Fermented Malt Beverage, Wisconsin

License required to brew fermented malt beverages in Wisconsin for resale or intend to sell fermented malt beverages to another Wisconsin wholesaler or Wisconsin retail business.

License Type:

The BTR certificate is renewable every two years.


Persons who want a brewer's license must hold a Business Tax Registration (BTR) Certificate.   There is no charge for the license. However, there is a one-time $20 charge for the BTR certificate. The certificate is renewable every two years for $10.


Security (bond, cash, certificate of deposit) must be on file at the Department or Revenue. 

You must obtain the follwing:

  1. Federal Basic Permit - Contact the Regional Regulatory Administration, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, 300 S Riverside Plaza Suite 310, Chicago, IL  60606 
  2. Federal Occupational Tax Stamp - Obtain from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
  3. Municipal Wholesale Beer License - Obtain this from the Wisconsin municipality in which you intend to establish your place of business.
Additional Information:

You must obtain a separate permit for each location that will be brewing, selling, shipping, or invoicing fermented malt beverages.  Submit a separate applicaiton for each location.

Must comply with the federal regulations on labelling.

Application Form(s):
Wisconsin Statutes:
Brewers (S. 125.29)  
Administrative Rules/Codes:
Fermented Malt Beverages (Revenue Tax 7)  
Contact Information
Customer Service Bureau
Home Page:
E-mail :
Hours of Operation:
7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday  
Mail Address:
PO Box 8902, Madison, WI 53708-8902  
Street Address:
2135 Rimrock Road, Madison, WI 53713  
Agency Web Site:
Download Acrobat Download Acrobat Reader from Adobe
to be able to read PDF files.
For additional assistance with business-related license, permit and registration information, visit the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at or phone them at 608-263-7680.