You are on License
State of Wisconsin *
Help  |  Site Map  |  Subject Directory  |  Agency Index  |  Feedback

* License Home
* Portal Home
* Government
* Public Services
* Business
* Education
* Wisconsin Facts
* Health & Safety
* Relocation
* Visiting


Detailed Information for : Excise Tax, Beer, Wholesale - Alcohol Beverage Warehouse
Any person, sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, corporation or association who wants to deal in beer at the wholesale level in Wisconsin must obtain a permit from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.  
License Type:
The BTR certificate and beer permits are valid until canceled by the permittee or revoked by the department.  
The fee for the Alcohol Beverage Warehouse Permit is $200. Any person wanting a beverage permit must hold a Business Tax Registration (BTR) Certificate. The BTR certificate and beer permits are issued by the Compliance Bureau in Madison, (608) 266-2776. There is a one-time $20 charge for the BTR Certificate. This certificate is renewable every two years for $10.  
Persons who want to obtain a beverage permit or license from the Department of Revenue should also contact their municipal clerk to see if there are any licenses they must obtain from the municipality.  
Additional Information:
For further information see the Department of Revenue's Frequently Asked Questions.  
Application Form(s):
Wisconsin Statutes:
Administrative Rules/Codes:
No administrative rule(s) or code(s) apply.  
Contact Information
Customer Service Bureau
Home Page:
E-mail :
Hours of Operation:
7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday  
Mail Address:
PO Box 8902, Madison, WI 53708-8902  
Street Address:
2135 Rimrock Road, Madison, WI 53713  
Agency Web Site:
Download Acrobat Download Acrobat Reader from Adobe
to be able to read PDF files.
For additional assistance with business-related license, permit and registration information, visit the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at or phone them at 608-263-7680.