You are on License
State of Wisconsin *
Help  |  Site Map  |  Subject Directory  |  Agency Index  |  Feedback

* License Home
* Portal Home
* Government
* Public Services
* Business
* Education
* Wisconsin Facts
* Health & Safety
* Relocation
* Visiting


Detailed Information for : Child Labor Work Permit
A child labor permit is required for an employer to hire someone under the age of 18 to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work. Employers must have a work permit on file for each minor employed, before the minor begins to work. A work permit is only valid for the employer to whom it is issued and for the work discribed on the permit. Work permits are issued at various locations throughout the state. In many communities, work permits may be obtained at the local high school. The permit will not be issued if the work is prohibited by law.  
License Type:
The work permit remains in effect until the minor turns 18 or until the Department suspends or revokes the license for cause.  
The fee is $10.00. The employer is required to pay the permit fee. If the minor advances the fee, the employer shall reimburse the minor not later than the minor's first pay check.  
Required Documentation:
See "Are You Planning on Going to Work?" for a list of required documentation.  
Application Form(s):
Apply in person at any permit office throughout the state. For information about your closest permit office, call (608)266-6861.  
Wisconsin Statutes:
Employment Relations (Chapter 103)  
Administrative Rules/Codes:
Child Labor (DWD 270)  
Other Agencies Involved:

U.S. Department of Labor - Youth Rules for Employers

Contact Information
Equal Rights Division
Home Page:
E-mail :
Hours of Operation:
7:45 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday  
Mail Address:
P O Box 8928, Madison, WI 53708-8928  
Street Address:
201 East Washington Avenue, room A300, Madison, WI 53703  
Agency Web Site:
Download Acrobat Download Acrobat Reader from Adobe
to be able to read PDF files.
For additional assistance with business-related license, permit and registration information, visit the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center at or phone them at 608-263-7680.